Top of page Accessibility Site map Search
Website URL : The Control Id 'trail' could not be resolved to an actual control., Type=iCMRender.Controls.Value, ID=MainBlock (~/WHCHT/index.master)


Skip navigation

Applying for a council or housing association home in Welwyn Hatfield

All applications for council and housing association homes are held on our Housing Needs Register (the waiting list).


We have joined up with four other housing organisations to advertise and offer homes to applicants on our waiting lists. The group is called Herts Choice Homes.

Who can apply and how are applications prioritised?

There are rules about who can apply to join the Register and how applications are prioritised. These are set out in our pdf icon Allocations Policy [163KB].

All housing applications are placed into one of five bands based on an assessment of their housing need. Within each band, further priority is given to applicants who registered first.  

How do I join the Housing Needs Register (waiting list)?

To join the Housing Needs Register you need to register online with Herts Choice Homes.

You may also need to complete a pdf icon Medical form [312KB]. This will be assessed initially by one of our Housing Advisors to establish if it should be presented to to our independent Medical Advisor. If you require any assistance completing either of these forms please contact the Welwyn Garden City or Hatfield housing office. You will also need to provide some documents, such as proof of identification. Full details are included on the forms.

Once your application has been registered, you can use the Herts Choice Homes scheme to search and bid for homes. The Scheme User Guide explains how to do that.

Local Lettings Policies

We operate local lettings policies (LLPs) for a small number of properties across the borough.  The LLPs are used alongside the allocations policy and cover specific addresses, setting out criteria that applicants must meet in order to be offered one of those homes.

The aim of each LLP is slightly different, but in general they are used to help make best use of homes, to tackle anti-social behaviour and social exclusion, and help new residents to sustain their tenancy.  For more information contact either our Welwyn Garden City or Hatfield housing office.

Our Service Standards

We have agreed service standards with our customers for our services relating to applying for your home and moving home.  These will be reviewed each year.  If you would like to be involved in the review process please contact either our Welwyn Garden City or Hatfield housing team.


This page was last updated on 09/06/2015


Contact Information

External Links